Sunday, August 13, 2006

India, My Destination

I just came back from a 2 day 1 night pre-departure briefing with Islamic Medical Association Malaysia (IMAM) UK-Eire at Seri Pengantin Resort, Janda Baik. This is probably the how-many-time I've attended such courses. Despite the fact that I knew that some of the materials (and jokes) would be re-cycled again and again, I decided to go to this one as each of the course had always gave something new in some ways. And it doesn't hurt to be reminded again and again about the responsibilities as medical students, and as doctors in the future, and Muslims ones at that.

During one of the group sessions with the seniors, which are mostly First Year students, Kak Faridah asked us Indian-bound and Czech Republic-bound students what it was like to be offered to our respective countries. Czech Republic students were pretty much anxious, as they are going to be the pioneer batch in Czech Republic, where the Muslim population is less than 0.1%. For us Indian (specifically, Manipal College) bound, there were quite a few things to say. My sister made a point that it was actually good that she was offered to study in India, as if she weren't, she may have looked down at the Indian medical schools and their system. That was a good point. I admit that initially, I was a bit disappointed that I was offered to study in India, which is not really "that" far from home and which was none of the countries I ticked as my choice. But being me, I accepted it gladly, didn't care much to appeal for something else, and set my heart straight on studying there. Those traces of disappointments have now disappeared. In fact, I now look forward to go there in September, insya-Allah, provided that I get those 12 points required of my A-Levels (results out on the 18th of August at 9 a.m.). I can't wait to start.

The usual scenario is that when people, including our peers, ask us where we are off to to pursue medicine, and "India" was given as the answer, they will give us either a snicker, a laugh, an amused or a disbelieved expression, or worse, a REALLY REALLY loud group laugh. If they don't do that, then they might just make jokes about it at one time or another. For me, it is nothing, as I'm used to it. Plus, I don't feel that there is anything funny about studying there. But I do think about what Indians would've felt seeing people laughing at them, making jokes about their country as if studying there is some sort of a funny idea. Imagine us being in their shoes. What would you feel when people around the globe laughs at the prospect of studying in Malaysia, as though it is the most ludicrous thing one could have ever suggested. Would you feel sad? Angry? Amused?

Same goes to those who are going to Indonesia. I think they had it worse than us. I do not understand why, though. What is so bad about the place? I honestly feel that they are very lucky indeed. They are so close to a place where they can contribute so much to the society. During the briefing, Dr. Latiff told us a story about a man with no arms who begged Mercy Malaysia to include him in the Acheh Medical Relief team, but was rejected. However, he was not easily disheartened. He gathered friends, collected funds and do everything he can. He finally get to go to Acheh on his own efforts and once he was there, he went to Mercy Malaysia and said, "Here I am. What can I do to help?" Indonesian-bound students would get that chance without much hitch. I wish all my comrades who are taking off to UGM this Tuesday all the best!

Although, I do feel like I'm going to miss out the Islamic environment described by the UK-Eire seniors. I really wish that I can experience that, going to the mosque, seeing people from all sort of countries, all sort of languages and cultures and all sorts of mazhab, all together praying, standing close to each other - all hearts united in the for the love of Islam. The way they described Ramadhan and Eid there just seems so lovely. I am not sure how Manipal fares in terms of these aspects, but I'm praying for the best. I am sure that there are going to be lots of new things to discover and experience there. An IMAM student chapter in India is yet to be established, but I do hope that my batch could perhaps start one. Being pioneers is always a challenge, but if everyone has the thinking that "someone will do this later on", nothing will get started.

All in all, I would say that in whatever we do, Iman is indeed exceptionally important. I believe that it is the one last thing that sustains you at the lowest point of your life. In times when things just seemed so hard, people just won't understand, the world is just in chaos, my Iman is the only thing that makes me hold dear to my ambitions, my dreams and my efforts. My Iman is the one last thing that fulfill the emptiness in my heart when everything else seems pointless and confusing. I may have a weak Iman, but that weak Iman is the thin string that pulls everything together for me. And I hope that it is with this Iman, with further nourishment and strengthening, would I go through those years ahead of me, into my profession and beyond..

Oh Allah, bless me with friends that can remind me of where I came from, why I am here, what my purpose is, and where I am going next...

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ayumi..i wish u and ur friends all da best,and yes, be the pioneer for the IMAM india student chapter..insyaAllah,as long as your niat is correct,no matter where you're going to study,you'll always find His blessings with you,which is the most important thing after all:)

Hidayah - the tall,specky girl;)

10:58 PM  
Blogger Jamil said...

As always, your words always leave me reflecting upon my ownself. At one point of time ago, I too was rueing the fact that I wasn't going out of the country to pursue my degree. But now I realise that it's not the place that matters the most. It's the attitude.

(My parents would be proud to read this. They've been trying to hammer that lesson into my head for as long as I can remember)

1:38 AM  
Blogger pycnogenol said...

The Seri Pengantin Resort at Janda Baik really caught my attention. Siapa Pengurus nya Ayumi? Si Bujang Terlajak ke???? he..he..he...

And to a more serious note, this entry is so you, Ayumi. Reading it stirs up emotion in me, and I'm sure your parents are so proud of you and your sister, just as we ALL are!!!

Ni belum pergi airport lagi, tapi sudah sedih............ :(

5:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

assalamualaikum,

got here from drroza's place. i've heard many ppl say that grad from mannipal lack of practical skill as compared to local grad (UM,UKM,USM). dunno how true is that. but if you can change that, it will be wonderful. :)

3:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The laughing scenario goes exactly the same to us,Moscow students. Most people thought Ukraine is a part of Russia and kept asking us questions. Even Russians language have made some of their laughingstock. But then, the place isn't something to be worried of. It's the knowledge that counts.Some of the Malaysian's doctors had graduated from India, that proves India really can produce great doctors after all!

Wish you best of luck!..

3:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

atok - I met a doctor when i attend a short medical course at Kelantan and he told us that most of doctors whom graduated overseas lack of practical skills and they have to learn lots from local nurses when they coming back to Malaysia.He said that maybe it is because the devices and instruments used is quite different.He's graduated from Egypt.

3:17 PM  
Blogger ayumi said...

Hiyoshi - I'm sure your parents would be proud as well :)

Pycno - Hahaha.. THAT I'm not sure of... Harap-harap dapat lah ke airport..

Atok - I'm not sure how you define Manipal.. because I'm going to study my practicals here in Malaysia, in the Manipal College branch in Malacca. So I'm going to be (insyaAllah) half-Indian half-Malaysian graduate ;)

Cassablancha - I heard that IMAM Russia has just been established. That's really good news. Oh, and there's nothing funny about studying in Moscow, as well.

4:31 PM  
Blogger pycnogenol said...

Ayumi - Now I'm sure your parents are a bit worried the moment you mention "half-Indian half-Malaysian". Let's hope that you'll NOT bring back an Indian, and introduce to us as your better or (lesser) half,.....unless of course, he is irresistibly handsome like Hritik Roshan....;)

8:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's the level of comfort that will differentiate between the countries.

11:38 PM  
Blogger Mama Sarah said...

Before I came to UK for my degree, my parents wanted to send me to India privately to do MEdicine or Speech Therapy. I was like, "India???"

Tapi sekarang, I have the highest respect to those who graduate from India. Even Indian doctors. I think Mynn can also assure you this.

Dari segi practical, from my experience - mmg Msia titikberatkan praktikal for some reason. OVerseas students ditekankan bab2 lain, hence they are better at other things; communication, and management. Practical wise boleh dikutip melalui pengalaman kerja.

1:24 AM  
Blogger mynn said...

LOL reading all of pycno's comments.

ayumi
i work with alot of indian doctors in the UK. and i tell you, i have GREAT RESPECT for them. most (if not all) are hardworking, intelligent, proper, professional and experienced. Many are my good friends.

((we are using the same textbooks and we refer to the same papers anyway, whether studying in Malaysia, India or the UK)).

1:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean about many people's reactions when you told them you're studying medic to Indonesia or India. Some people do get the idea these places are not as 'glamorous' as studying in Europe or the US, kononnya la.

I also remember when I was applying to study overseas, I did mention to some friends that India is a very good place to study IT. They looked as if they thought I had gone mad. So many places, you want to choose India?

This is just some sort of yet another negative mentality. If they really really care to know how much countries like India could offer in education terms, I doubt they'd be so sarcastic about it.

But then again, the prevalent thinking is the shallow images of India and Indonesia. No snow, no crowds of mat and minah salleh, no musim2 bunga or whatever.. dunno. That's why we often hear and see these smirks and laughs when people mention they're going there to study.

btw, I don't know if we're talking about the same person, but I think I know tha person who really wants to go on the relief team, despite his disabilities. I managed to get a glimpse of him when we attended the launching of WIRDA last year (he was one of the guests of honour, forgot his name though).

2:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i hope i dont offend anyone.

"Hanya segala amal dengan niat, dan hanya bagi tiap-tiap seseorang apa yang ia niatkan." - Hadis 40, syarah Mustafa Abdul Rahman.

dimana2 dibumi Allah tidak menjadi halangan. Kerana sesungguhnya ilmu itu adalah milikNYA. :)

9:36 AM  
Blogger ifos said...

A good doctor is a good doctor, no matter where he/she graduated from. You have my prayers ayumi, wa fi amanillah!

5:54 PM  
Blogger Arifah said...

I had thought of writing what ifos wrote! I know you'll be one of the greatest doctors of our time InsyaAllah. All the best. =)

2:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Daer Solehah,

I echo all the above comments as we are all confident of your capabilities to become a full fledged , responsible and successful muslim doctor.

1:32 PM  
Blogger Mama Pongkey said...

I heard that the classes at Manipal are quite good, so inshaAllah you are getting the best of both worlds this way. :) InshaAllah you will meet like-minded people deen-wise. Also think of the shorter distance to go home, no long-haul 12-hour flights for you! Kan senang...

11:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home